An open letter.

Dear Steelers (and the rest of Pittsburgh for that matter),

What can we say? This just wasn't our year. This is understandable. We've had several years lately. We have with predictable regularity dominated the NFL, especially the AFC North. People trembled in fear when we came to town. Our towels were mighty. Our cheerleaders were fat men with stuff painted on their chests. We won Super Bowls. Times were good.

And then there was this year. Was it a hangover from last year's dominance of the league? Who knows. I started to suspect something when we lost to the Chiefs. I really suspected something after last night's embarrassment. Now it seems that barring a complete collapse of everyone in the NFL, we will not be joining them in the playoffs this year. Bummer.

But please, don't give up on the season, I'm talking to you, Hines Ward, Santonio Holmes, Jeff Reed, and Heath Miller. I need points. But for all intents and purposes, the season is done.

Now please, do not misunderstand what I'm about to say. I will be there with you for training camp next year. I will wave my towel with all my heart. I am not abandoning you, nor am I a fair weather fan. But we're pretty much done for this year, which opens things up for me to root for someone else for a limited time. Just between now and the Superbowl, and that's it. I'm not cheating on you Steelers, I promise.

I thought about the Vikings. Brett Farve is amazing. I also thought about the Saints, but I feel like both of those are a little trendy. And so I've decided that for the rest of the playoffs, I will be rooting for the Green Bay Packers.

First of all, they're an NFC team, so there's almost no chance they will ever become one of our rivals. Secondly, they're in the playoff hunt, but just underdogish enough to make me respect them a bunch. They play gritty dirty football, and they seem to have a pretty awesome fan base. They remind me a lot of you Steelers.

Again, I will be back after this year. But we're on to other things for now, and besides, you've known from the beginning that my heart really belongs to someone else all this time:

Godspeed,

Jason


0 comments: