Rockstar

http://joshsmithonwpf.files.wordpress.com/2007/12/rockstar.jpg
Hey everybody.
As mentioned in the Monday Morning update, just as I was wrapping up I was called and asked for an interview with a lovely reporter from the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Such a sentence is great, because it pretty much just hangs out there and causes more questions than answers.
http://chaosandoldnight.files.wordpress.com/2008/03/the-riddler.jpg
The truth is, I'm starting a class here at the church for garage bands who want to know a little bit more about the practical side of rock and roll. How do you set up gigs, how do you record a CD, how do you promote yourself, etc. I feel thoroughly unqualified to teach such a class, but Lisa from the WROC assures me it's a good idea, much like I'm sure this guy's friends told him this would be a good idea:



It felt so weird to be interviewed, particularly while I was in the middle of cleaning my office. (You might note that the call came both while I was cleaning the office AND while I was blogging. Procrastination strikes again). How could anyone possibly care about what I had to offer as a 25 year old musician?

I struggle with pride. Not stupid pride, where people refuse to take credit for their decent work, a sort of "awww shucks" kind of pride. When this woman was asking me about the kind of music we play at the Bridge, it was all I could do to not start bragging about the albums of music I have written for our lovely congregation. It was all I could do not to promote the blog, in the vain hopes that more people would read it than my wife (Love you dear!). I kept my cool, knowing that such shameless self promotion would only be seen by the reporter as dorky.
http://creativegreenius.files.wordpress.com/2008/08/urkle.jpg
So for the moment, pride is kept at bay for all the wrong reasons (I held my pride back so I wouldn't look bad...ironic?). Perhaps another dive into that pile of garbage under our desk will help straighten me out!

Godspeed,

Jason
Blogged with the Flock Browser

0 comments: