Kids these days...

Hey bloggers,
Tonight was a big night. Sarah and I joined the Rubinos for the Upper Saint Clair High School Production of 42nd Street (or USCHSPOFSSt if you'd like to abbreviate). I did the musical all three years in my high school days (9th grade happened at the Jr. High), so I'm always pretty pumped to get to go see what they're doing each year at USC. Tonight however sparked a thought for a blog post, and it came from me being silly. 
For those of you who haven't seen 42nd Street, it is a quite dance-heavy number. Not just moving your hips or whatever, but actual tap dance skill is involved here. And every time the kids did a particularly hard routine, the audience would applaud. And I would whisper under my breath "I could do that..."
A few examples of people who have said those words and been wrong:



(I don't care what any of you say, that last one will be one of my favorite videos for years to come. How does that kid end up like that? How? Does he try to dive and fail miserably? What goes through one's mind? Did he think it would turn out well to be in such a position? Anyway, I digress...)

But the point of the matter was, all those times we were applauding and I was stating my own ability to accomplish what the kids were doing, there was no way I would have been able to do it. Never mind the fact that I lack the flexibility and the drive to get it done, these kids were just spectacular!
So perhaps we as a society should give our kids a little bit more credit. If they can do this, what else can they do that we've been doubting? What else are they capable of? What else are they already doing while we grown up types aren't watching? I think this is why I am so drawn to work with this age of children, because it's when they truly start figuring out who they are, and what they're capable of.
So if you were in the production this evening, kudos all around. You really blew my mind. And if you were a dancer, how about you show me some of your moves so that next time I can say "I could do that" and mean it. 
Yeah, you're right. It would never happen...
Godspeed,
Jason

0 comments: