The sound of silence.

 
Greetings bloggers!
As I mentioned in my last post, we just wrapped up our confirmation process last week, and it was quite a marathon for me and the other leaders. On Thursday of last week, I realized that I was tired, worn out, burnt out, beat up, bruised, and all around incapable of doing my job. So I decided to take an impromptue vacation this week. 
 
(I wish I had gone somewhere cool like that...)
Actually for the most part I stayed home. I think I watched about 4 movies on demand, and then switched over to the netflix movies we've had sitting around for a while. My dog Marley sat by my side almost the entire week, usually putting her nose in my lap in such a way that says "I am absolutely the cutest thing you will ever come across, and don't you forget it!"
 
(Doesn't stand a chance...)
However, on Wednesday and Thursday I went up to Camp Harmony to take part in a little bit of a silent/reflective retreat. I have preached I don't know how many times about spending some time in silence to hear what God has to say to you, but this was the first time I had ever spend any decent amount of time in silence. Or at least tried to. 
When I got there Wednesday afternoon, Dan invited me to go to worship with him. I hadn't been in a place where I could just worship without having to worry about a sound system breaking down, so I thought even though I had intended a silent retreat, it might be nice to get out and sing some songs with people I don't know. This of course turned into a on the spot solo-show, five songs later my voice starting to give out due to the cold that I had been holding on to for weeks (which is finally starting to slip away, thanks for asking). One night into my silent retreat and it was about as silent as this was graceful:
(Still the best video on the internet)
But after I got back from worship, it was as quiet as could be. I was up late into the night, journaling my prayers and really asking God to restore me to my former energy levels. I spent more time in the word than I can remember in recent months. I read some books that had been on my reading list for quite some time now. I read some magazines about dorky stuff like computers and video games. But most of all I prayed, and I sat in silence waiting for a response. And while the skies didn't open up, and the phone didn't ring, and I didn't hear an audible voice, God answered me. 
 
I feel more awake and alert and energetic than I have in a long time. I feel like digging back in and going forward in ministry. I feel like diving in head first, making the most of every minute that's left of this ministry year. 
When was the last time you spent any serious amount of time in silence?

0 comments: