The Sex Talk

 
(Let us all hope that this is the last time I'll have to venture into Google images looking for a related image that doesn't cause me to sin out right...)
Greetings friends,
As I mentioned in the last post, we just wrapped up our yearly series on sex. The whole process (as it does every year) has got me thinking about what a youth pastor's role is in shaping the sexual activity of teenagers, and this year in particular, why nothing I said the last two weeks makes a hoot of difference. 
 
For starters, here's what the talk focused on:
  • 46% of teenagers today admit to having sexual intercourse.
  • 20% of teenagers today admit to "sexting", sending raunchy photos or messages to each other.
  • For me, these things are cheap immitations of the good sex that God has planned for each and every one of us, which takes place in the covenant of marriage. 
  • 1 Corinthians 12:31-13:8 says that there is a "most excellent way", and that it involves a love that's patient, kind, etc.
The moral of the story the last couple of weeks has been comparing pre-marital sex and God's view of sex to Hunts ketchup vs. Heinz
(disgusting)
 
(delicious)
During the time of questions (my favorite 20 minutes of the year) we got the same question we get every year: how far is too far?

(This guy RAN too far)
I get asked this question every year, and every year I move the goal posts back as far as I can. This year I even suggested that girls who wear provative clothing are taking things a bit too far, given that boys are visually stimulated and that even a lug wrench can turn our minds to thoughts of lust.
 
(sexy...)
As the talk wound down, and I made my way back to my house, I felt the yearly sense of disappointment. The truth is that even as a youth pastor, someone that an alarming number of kids have admitted looking up to, I have little to no influence over them in this matter. The chances of me finding sexually provocative photographs on facebook tomorrow are every bit as good as they were before I gave this talk on Wednesday. The mainstream culture has taken over and immersed these kids with the idea that it's ok, and while I don't usually buy into the Christian Culture Wars, this is one area where I feel passionate.

 
At the end of the day, I suppose it's just about being there and trying our best to show the kids "the most excellent way", both in our own lives and by pointing it out when we see it. Of course I'd be interested in your thoughts on the subject, so leave some comments action. 
I'm going to try to read a little bit before leaving for the weekend! 
Godspeed,
Jason

0 comments: