Haiti Update #1: Holy Ruckus

Greetings friends!

I've written to you from a lot of cool places in the past, but today I am writing to you from the roof of the La Croix mission in Haiti, just as the sun is coming up over the mountains. Words cannot express the beauty that can be found here! Hopefully later on I'll be able to take a couple of photos and post those up as well. 

We left for the trip on Friday afternoon and flew to Miami, where we encountered our first major snag, in that apparently Travelocity never officially made our reservations for our hotel room. This actually panned out quite well, as it meant that we could spend the night in the same hotel as the rest of our team. It just meant that I also had to bounce around the Miami airport like a mad man a little bit on Friday night! 

We woke up at an ungodly hour of the morning on Saturday to board our flight to Port-Au-Prince. Flying in over the mountains was beautiful, but also a stark reminder of Haiti's poverty. There are hardly any trees or forested areas in the country. It reminded me of Africa in a big big way, but not as much as driving from Port-Au-Prince to La Croix. The markets, the people carrying unbelievable loads on their bicycles, and the ridiculous driving all took me back to my time spent in Malawi. The location is different, but poverty is poverty everywhere. 

On Sunday, we went to worship at the church in the mission. It was amazing! People here worship with a complete reckless abandon, they couldn't care less about how people might view them. Hands in the air, dancing in the isles, it didn't matter. They were going to display their love for God. My favorite part of the service were the prayers, where people just prayed out loud whatever they wanted all at the same time. It was like a holy ruckus, and I was super pumped to be a part of it. 

Most of the rest of yesterday was spent resting up, getting ready for the work that we're up to this week. We sat in on a short English lesson taught by one of our team members, which was a lot of fun and allowed me to dance upon a chair. How could you not love that! I also have access to a guitar, so there have been a couple of songs bouncing around in my head, so hopefully Tree Anthem will walk away from this trip with some new tunes. 

Today, I think I'm going to be spending most of the day in the school here at the mission, doing some painting and whatever handiwork I am actually skilled enough to complete. We're shooting some video while we're here, and the internet connection seems to be pretty strong, so maybe we'll post a video blog or two along the way. 

Thanks for reading along, and thanks even more for your prayers! God is very good to us on this trip!

Godspeed,

Jason

0 comments: