Ephesians 3:14-21: Strengthened

Tired doesn't even begin to describe it.

How often have you said that in your ministry? I feel like lately I've been saying it more and more, with each week that passes. Ed and I actually discovered that through some flaws in our thinking (not the first time...) we are booked every weekend from now until April 23rd. We'll be home for Easter, but come on, Easter has it's own insanity associated with it for those of us who work in the Church.

We've all been there before, where there simply isn't any energy left in the tank. Maybe it's your ministry that's wearing you down, or your life at home, or your marriage, or your family, or whatever. There are undoubtably times where we would rather just pass out on our couches than take a look at one more permission slip or retreat plan.

Today's scriptures speak directly to those of us who are worn out.

In verse 16, we hear that Paul is praying for us to be strengthened in our inner being with power through the Spirit. Even as I'm sitting here in my office, these words speak tremendous hope into the fabric of my bones. Paul starts it all by reminding us that we need to be on our knees in prayer to our great and glorious Savior.

So if you're with me, and you're just beat up and tired, this bible study is for you. Take a moment to pray, and invite the strength of the Lord to be with you. For as much as we know what it's like to be tired and worn out, I think most of us can relate to that mysterious strength that shows up when we need it most. That ability to counsel a student who shows up in your office at the last minute of the day. The ability to survive a lock-in without the aide of any caffinne or other stimulant. I'm not talking about easily explained adrenaline rush, I'm talking about that burst of energy that leaves you saying "there's no way I should be able to do what I'm doing right now." I believe strongly that that's the strength of the Spirit.

To all of you who need that strength right now, I'll be praying for you.

Let's do 4:1-16 for tomorrow.

AND: I have an extra post coming up later tonight! Check it out!

Godspeed,

J


0 comments: