Ephesians 1:15-23: Have you heard?

Good morning bloggers!

This morning we're taking a peak at Ephesians 1:15-23.

I was struck right off the bat at how Paul had heard about the faith of the Ephesian church from a great distance away. How do you suppose that happens? How does the reputation of a community as a body of believers spread itself across oceans and great distances? I mean, if you find yourself the leader of a youth ministry, wouldn't the absolute best compliment be to hear from someone else that your students have a reputation of being Christ-like?

I'm sure our logo does that...

If we're honest in our approach to the ministry we're called to, this should be priority one. To have a group of students who are living as Christ has called them to live. I'm not at all impressed by numbers or cool youth rooms any more (well I am, but that's beside the point). What impresses me is when I see a group of students collectively living as the Salt of the Earth, the Light of the World. That's when I know I've done my job.

Paul even takes us a step further toward showing us how to accomplish this goal in our youth ministries, and that is to pray for the church (or in our case, our youth ministries). I think this goes much bigger than just praying that we have a big crowd on a Wednesday night or that no one gets hurt during the dodgeball game. The line that really resonated with me in this passage was that Paul prayed for a spirit of wisdom that they may "know what is the hope to which has has called (them)."

How much time do we spend praying not just for our ministries, but for the students who make them up? Do we keep track of the joys and concerns that are offered up in our youth groups?

Take some time this week to pray for your ministry. Keep a little notebook or something in your pocket during youth group this week, and just listen to what everyone is talking about. Write down some things you need to pray about for your kids. Maybe then our reputations will grow as Christ followers in our communities.

I don't know about you, but I'm having fun with this! We'll do 2:1-10 tomorrow!

Godspeed,

Jason


0 comments: