Overwhelmed by worship.

Hello again bloggers.

As previously mentioned, last Friday was our first show as Echoes & Angels. It was an amazing night of worship! First of all, New Harvest Church and Fusion Cafe occupy a building that was a "gentlemen's club" in it's former life. I don't know why, but I was really struck by the imagery of this. What used to be a building of sin and debauchery has been redeemed and is now a place of worship. Plus, the coffee bar was simply amazing!

Worship itself was amazing! There were probably only 15-20 people in attendance that night, but man were they singing! More than that, people were authentically worshiping. It was simply spectacular! (This is an aside, but it was followed up with an amazing message from Pastor Will. I'm still thinking about his words!)

This was an amazing point in which I, the designated "worship leader", I was led in worship by the congregation every bit as much as I was leading them. I was overwhelmed by worship, I couldn't move. I couldn't breathe. I just sang the songs we picked and let the Spirit of God move through the building that used to be a strip club.

Fast forward to this morning at the Bridge. I picked almost the exact same songs (only fewer, we don't have that much time here!), but this morning it felt like it was a forced worship. Presbyterians have always carried this reputation of being the frozen chosen, but it's much more than a sterotype. It's the real deal.

I'm not in any kind of position to judge how a person is worshiping. I have seen middle school boys worship by wailing tennis balls at each other in a dark room (truely worshiping too, not just saying that), so obviously worship is more about the heart than it is the outward experiences. It's just that the worship at the Bridge lately has seemed to lack passion.

What do you think? If you're a Bridge attender I'd love to hear from you. Is it that we need to instill more passion at the Bridge, or is it that I'm not seeing something. Comment below!

Godspeed,

Jason


0 comments: