Thoughts about Worship.

Greetings friends!
I've been kind of been absent from the blog lately, and I apologize for that. I could make up some kind of excuse about my lappy hard drive crashing, but really I had checked out long before that.

The truth is, we've been crazy busy these last few weeks. Our kick off on Wednesday was probably one of the most brilliant youth ministry experiences I've had in a long time. The day after that, our new sound system came into the church (FINALLLLLLYYYYYYY!!!!!), and was them promptly delayed again. Each of these events are deserving of their own blog post, so keep your eyes peeled for those in the near future.

But today, I want to talk about worship.

It's difficult when you're a half youth pastor and half worship leader to keep everything straight. I made the set list for Sunday sometime on Thursday evening. To pull my fingernails down the chalkboard a little bit more for the more professional worship leaders, I made the list before I had a chance to talk to Ed about what his sermon would be about. We didn't have time to get the band together and rehearse. Basically, everything you've ever been taught about creating flow in a worship service was completely chucked out the window. It was just me making the setlist on my own, and hoping for the best.

My best was nowhere near as good as worship was this morning.

There's really no substance to that statement. Sure the band was clicking together. Sure we took a new song for a test drive to a receptive audience. Sure that receptive audience even danced around a little bit (which in other churches might not be that big of a deal, but holy cow we're Presbyterian!). But I think all in all, when you ask people around the room what was going on, they would tell you that God's Spirit had an agenda, and the whole worship team (which, by the by, I think more and more should include the speakers, prayers, scripture readers, and drama folks, don't you?) was not afraid to let it do it's thing. So often we have our own agendas and our own dreams and our own "wouldn't it be cool if"...but that's not the Spirits. What does it look like to truly get out of the way?

I'll tell you what it looks like. It's stinking awesome.

More tonight. I really want to get back in the habit here!

Godspeed,

Jason

0 comments: