The Youth Pastor's Uniform

Steve jobs toy

Hello friends,

In the new Steve Jobs biography (review coming soon), Jobs talked about a trip to the Sony plant where he noticed the employes wore uniforms. He felt that the comradere that came from these shared uniforms would help his cause at Apple, but the Apple folks balked at the idea. All the same, Steve wound up coming up with his own uniform. A black mock turtleneck, Levi jeans, and simple white tennis shoes. While we all knew that was the uniform he wore at the big keynote events, I never knew that he wore that same outfit every working day! It was what made the difference between being at work, and not.

Sarah and I were just doing the laundry, and I realized that I too have defaulted to a youth pastor's uniform. Having spent some time this week at the NYWC, I realize that I am not the only one who wears this uniform. What follows is meant to be poking fun at myself, if it offends you because you share this uniform, may I suggest adding a sense of humor to your daily outfit?

On the top:

Ns plaid shirt

A t-shirt. This is where most youth pastors stop, but for me it is the base layer. I don't put a lot of thought into my t-shirt when it's acting as the base layer, so these are just the free shirts I've picked up from different events and camps. Unless it's going to get hot, which is possible, then I'll use one of the better shirts I've picked up from Old Navy, because I'm 12 years old.

Plaid-button up shirt. This is the key for me. I just hung up about 20 plaid shirts in my closet. I've picked them up from Old Navy (again, 12) or occasionally from someplace sophisticated (American Eagle) for when I'm feeling like I'm 14. Top button? Absolutely not! If there are long sleeves, they are to be rolled up past the elbow. None of this 3/4 crap. I've never been a fan of that.

Sweater. In colder months, I throw a sweater on top of the button up, and pop the collar out. The sweaters? Old Navy.

On the bottom:

8624C571

Jeans: Old Navy (theme much?) jeans, boot cut. I tried light washes once, and just never got next to them, so my jeans are almost always dark, almost grayish.

(Option 2: Khakis from Old Navy, MUST be cargo or we're done talking.)

Shoes: I have made brightly colored shoes an icon. Here's how to order: Go to Amazon dot com, search for Adidas shoes in your size, and then use the color selector on the left side. The bolder the better. Though, make plans for accessories.

Accessories:

Watch: I am a watch fiend. Target (didn't see that coming, did you?) has some great watches. The bigger the face, the better. I want you to know what time it is from across the sanctuary. It's my ministry to you.

Socks: These need not match. Unless they are party socks:

Tubesocks

At first, I thought it was just me. But like I said, I've seen so many youth pastors who wear the exact same uniform. So I ask you: What's missing? Feel free to poke fun at yourself (or your youth pastor for that matter!)

Godspeed,

 

Jason

4 comments:

Austin said...

haha too funny. Cargo has got to stop though. It's time to let it go. I'm with you 1000% on the plaid tops though! I'm a big fan of those and gingham as well. And of course, converse.

Unknown said...

Nice one.
Fantastic Uniforms collection.

Bekah Little said...

so i just looked across at my co- youth pastor...that's totally what he's wearing! hahaha.

Derek said...

Dude. The socks are obviously on a lady. Notice the lack of man/beast hair on the legs...